Hand Stitching for West Elm & Steven Alan


Funny story, recently I worked with West Elm for the launch of their collaboration with Steven Alan, Stripes.  I helped consult on totes that were made just for the collaboration, and helped organize a few stitchy cohorts to monogram these totes during the launch event. Super cool gig.

So here's the funny part, during the event there were so many people requesting monogramed totes that eventually we needed to turn people away. So one of these people I turned away was the president of West Elm, Jim Brett. I literally said no to the president of West Elm. Palm to the face moment! Of course I didn't know who he was, and he was incredibly nice. One of his people kindly let me know later that that was the president of the company and would I please stitch a tote for him? Coming right up! So in the end it was all good. I got to personally stitch a monogram for the big chief of West Elm. Pretty cool.

Julie of Your Secret Admiral and Nguyen of Knit Knit, stitching it up. Desira Pesta and Cheyne of Cut Out and Collect also helped. We estimated that over a hundred totes were stitched in a just a few short hours. Here are some...




All photos by BFA


6 comments:

  1. Very cool! Love the simplicity of it. So funny you turned away the president of the company! Hey, those things happen! Better that you were getting too many requests than not enough :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We were crazy busy that night & it all worked out. Great to look busy in front of the boss!

      Delete
  2. Hey - I just saw this on google alerts. It's Jim Brett. When I couldn't get a tote, I just figured "you snooze, you lose." No big deal. But, when I received the tote, I was so happy - I love it.
    Thanks for all your hard work! Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jim! So happy that you finally got your tote personalized and I was so happy to stitch it for you. Thanks for hosting a wonderful event.

      Delete
  3. aw too bad i missed this- i would've loved to help stitch totes with you guys! who would've thought i'd move from brooklyn to chicago to get hired at west elm here, only to have my crafty besties stitch at west elm bk! naturally. ;) should i see if west elm chicago wants to have a repeat event + host you guys and you, julie and nguyen can all crash at my place? :) miss you guys!! p.s. great stitching! it looks like it was a fantastic event! p.p.s. i've had a pkg for you+jeremy waiting to be mailed for months. i'll shoot you an email to get your address! xo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun times - all glad to be a part of it! Laila, would totally love to come visit and bring the stitch team! Let's doooo it!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! it's nice...